[Amps] 3CX3000s

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Fri Oct 17 17:10:25 EDT 2014

On 10/17/2014 4:08 PM, Carl wrote:
> Remote it in another room as can be done with the Henry 8K.

My only complaint is they are so darn big.  Even with the remote power
supply the RF deck is big.  I've seen some nice construction, but they
lack the finish and still look home made.  Of course, you get what you
pay for and the Ameritrons look like home built to me, but with a good
coat of paint.  Probably why I get so few projects finished.  I end up
with a pile of Aluminum from changing the layout as I go.

As you say, the 3CX3000s only take a breeze to stay cool at the legal
limit as does the YC-156 and no socket, but man do they take a pile of
fuel to light the fire.  Just like thoroughbreds in harness, raring to
be let loose instead of being held to a walk, or maybe a trot now and
then. Like the horses, they do make a bit of noise when let loose<:-))

If building, it doesn't take that much more to build a remote tuning
panel, or go auto tune.  The only examples of those I've seen, really
looked home brew.

73

Roger (K8RI)