[Amps] Solid State Amps

Carl km1h at jeremy.qozzy.com
Fri Oct 17 17:56:27 EDT 2014

Ive noticed over a wide swath of amp and other forums that SS is becoming
more popular but seemingly misunderstood by most even more so than tube
amps.

The majority appear to be the newer generation of instant hams that have a
problem understanding how to tune a tube amp, especially those models that
are even marginal  for experienced users.

Also our rapidly aging older generation is having some problems tuning and
even concentrating on tuning and destroy things in the process. The weight
of a tube amp is another serious concern

Neither group should be let inside a tube amp without training or assistance
for their own good.

Now the bad news....the lack of a quality SS amp at the price they want to
pay. Yes, some have the money and there are a few choices but the majority
appear to gravitate to MRF 150 amps that are being pushed to the limit
witout any feedback circuitry and claims of "exceptionally low SSB
distortion compared to tube amps".

Yet nowhere are any IMD specs published that I could find.

So for around $3K you get a 1200W amp, and you are warned about extra heat
generation if the SWR is over 1:1!  Hmm, it sounds as if they are
brainwashing you into also buying an antenna tuner.

As my Yiddish friends from Brooklyn used to say: "velkh a fun drek"

Or from my German grandfathers: " Was fur ein Haufen Scheisse"

Apologies for any translation errors as I had to cheat and use an online
translator; couldnt remember parts of the phrase; its been 60 years or so
(-;

Carl
KM1H