[Amps] Blower noise

Russ Williams hrd998cc at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 11 22:13:14 EDT 2015

Hello Manfred.  I dealt with fan noise a few years ago and got it down to an acceptable level.  Looking at what I think is your amplifier (National NCL-2000?) , the fan motor appears to be what I called a record player motor when I was a kid.  I remember them as being relatively low RPM, maybe 1500-1600 RPM, so I am surprised at the noise level being produced.  My Drake L-4B runs a 1550 RPM motor and is very very quiet.
I do realize ceramic tubes like your 8122's need a bit more airflow than 3-500z's; hence, more noise.

My noise issue was with an ITT AM-6155 amplifier.  It runs a ceramic Amperex DX-393's which require quite a bit of air.  The fan motors in these beasts run at 400hz generated by an internal DC to AC power supply.  The motor running at 400hz creates noise at that frequency.  The motor speed is something like 3400 rpm, and the motor employs stainless steel instrument bearings-they too are noisy.  At that RPM, the fan blade noise equates to a high-pitched ringing sound.  Add the air noise, and the result is one noisy fan!!!
I replaced the s/s instrument bearings with standard sealed bearings.  That took a significant amount of noise away.  The next step was isolating the fan motor from the chassis using cutout pieces of an old mouse pad--major improvement there.  Playing with the 400hz power supply, the noise emanated by the motor  dropped significantly by *increasing* the fan rpm slightly.  The last thing was isolating the amplifier from the table using a plastic real estate sign--like plastic cardboard.  Locating the amp so the remaining sound was directed away helped as well.
Obviously, most of these are not applicable to your fan, except mechanically isolating the motor from the chassis.  It would be well worth looking into.  Even if you end up putting the amp in a box or behind a wall as others have suggested, isolating that 50hz vibe will reduce your noise that much more.
A word of caution about using cheapee 12 volt fans in amplifiers......been there and done that.  I found that in the presence of RF, they can shut down.  Definitely not what you want under key.
My 2 cents worth :-)
Best 73,RussKW6T