[Amps] Amplifier Vs Plate Modulated

Fuqua, Bill L wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Thu Dec 3 16:18:56 EST 2015

  Most all old amplifiers were spec. at 40%  carrier for AM compared to CW.
I did say the limits were plate dissipation or PEP output, the lesser of the two.
I had to go back and take a look at waveforms. With full carrier single sideband you
need to keep the sideband power level to less than 50% and to keep envelope detectors
happy is should be 25%.
  Diode detectors if operated as ideal square law detectors introduce considerable distortion.
Fortunately, most AM diode detectors are operated lots of drive, thanks to IF amplifiers and AVC,  and the drop across the
diode is small in comparison to the output voltage.
  Now saying that CHU uses full carrier SSB. I need to take a look at that and
I recall many years ago that one SSB transmitter emulated AM by just injecting carrier with
one sideband. But I can't recall where I saw it. You have to remember those were the
days that there was little concern about distortion.

  73
Bill wa4lav