[Amps] 813's

Fuqua, Bill L wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Tue Dec 22 13:15:46 EST 2015

  Graphite is always messy, I have gotten it on hands clothes and it is hard to wash out.
I think perhaps they should not have earned such a reputation. I believe the problem stems from the
fact that most 813 amplifiers in the early days had untuned inputs and that they were pushed
harder than they should have been. Mind you these tubes in triode connection are about like 572B's.
They have even less plate dissipation than 572B's but I suspect the idea of pushing them to
2kW PEP plate input was just too much. Also, most used 813's I have gotten had very little
emission left. That is an indication that they were used beyond the point where if pushed to
get full gallon output they were probably producing a very dirty signal. I think if you use
a good pair, with tuned input and don't try to push them too hard they will be just fine. Treat them
as if they were a pair of 575B's.
 73
Bill wa4lav