[Amps] Alpha Input SWR

Steve Thompson g8gsq72 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 04:07:36 EST 2015

For a fixed impedance Hardy's comment is correct. Changing the
feeder length alters the phase but not the SWR (ok, there's
caveats but they don't apply in an ordinary ham station). If your
SWR reading changes a lot, it indicates you have lots of harmonics
or the SWR meter isn't good enough.

With a GG amplifier, especially one with a broadband input
circuit, think of the coax as part of the cathode circuit rather
than just the link between rig and amp. There's significant
harmonic current in the cathode circuit and the length of coax
affects how it flows to ground. That alters the impedance seen by
the rig when driving it, so changing the coax length can change
the SWR the rig sees.

Steve