[Amps] HV transformer and Variac

Ros ros at netbox.com
Wed Jul 22 23:15:20 EDT 2015

First, the Variac is not a transformer in the classical sense, it is an
autoformer or auto-trans-former.  It will not lose efficiency. Here is a
schematic of one and perhaps you can see why it won't lose efficiency.

A common transformer has less efficiency than an autoformer due to core
loses, eddy currents, hysteresis, more heat (I2R losses), etc.

Ros, W5BRY