[Amps] Time for New Power Meter

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Sun May 3 09:58:22 EDT 2015

> "2465B, which translates into a 4% power error. I doubt if lab calibration
methods using thermocouples, etc., can do better than that. RF power is
really hard to measure accurately. 73, Jim W8ZR"

Because of these limitations, I've come back to mostly using Drake W4 and
Bird Thruline meters with a home-brewed PEP amp board as shown on my QRZ.com
page.  Although I do use LP100 and Alpha 8410A meters, they’ve mainly been
used to bring back readings during remote internet operation.  The Bird
Thrulines, W4, LP100 all read very reasonable accuracy when compared against
a scope/load.  I've tried two 8410s and they both read higher than the
others by a couple percent in PEP and average mode. I've not looked closely
into this but it is odd they both read higher by the same amount.

Paul, W9AC