[Amps] 8877 heater inrush

Radio WC6W wc6w_amps at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 27 13:19:24 EDT 2016

Hi Alan,
   Here is my solution to that:

   http://qsl.net/wc6w/wc6wamps/index.html?fr63.html

73 & Good morning,
   Marv WC6W

http://qsl.net/wc6w/

On Sun, 4/24/16, Alan Ibbetson <alan at g3xaq.net> wrote:

 Subject: [Amps] 8877 heater inrush
 To: amps at contesting.com
 Date: Sunday, April 24, 2016, 8:01 AM

 I am collecting parts together to
 build a rugged but low weight
 amplifier for solo DXpeditions. I have an 8877 tube that I
 want to use.

 A 5V switchmode PSU instead of a mains transformer for the
 heater looks
 a good way to keep the weight down but the low resistance of
 the cold
 heater (0.05 ohms for the tube I have to hand) means I will
 need to
 limit the current on switch on, not only to babysit the
 valve but also
 to prevent the SMPS going into foldback or hiccup limiting.

 I can envisage a number of approaches to providing the
 required step
 start based on relays or solid state switches but they
 require an
 estimate of the time it takes for the heater element to
 become hot
 enough at reduced voltage to offer a "reasonable" resistance
 for when
 the full heater voltage is applied.

 Does anyone have data on the heater startup current on an
 8877? Curves
 of both steady state current versus voltage and of current
 versus time
 at fixed voltage would be useful. Please note that I am not
 asking about
 the time it takes for the cathode to reach operating
 temperature; that
 is well documented.

 73, Alan G3XAQ