[Amps] 8877 heater inrush

Jim Garland 4cx250b at miamioh.edu
Tue Apr 26 16:28:35 EDT 2016

Alan, I wonder if you've considered using an inrush current limiter on
either the primary or secondary side of your filament transformer? For the
secondary side, the NTC B57127P0100M301  (Digi-key pp/n 495-7209-ND)  is
rated at 0.053 ohm resistance at its maximum rating of 15Amps. Its cold
resistance (at turn-on) is 10 ohms, which would limit the initial current
surge to 1 Amp.  At 10 Amps, the normal current draw of the 8877, I'm
guessing the resistance would be 0.1 ohms or less.

On the primary side of a 5V/10A filament xfmr, the steady state current draw
is about 0.200 mA, assuming a line voltage of 250V. A reasonable choice of
ICL would be the Cantherm MF72-200D7   (Digikey p/n 317-1155-ND). This
device has a cold resistance of 200 ohms and a maximum current rating of 200
mA. At its rated current, the hot resistance drops to about 12 ohms. The
only downside of ICLs, in my experience, is that it can take up to a minute
for them to recover their cold resistance when turned off. With an 8877,
however, the heater will still be pretty hot after a minute, so that
shouldn't be a problem.
73,
Jim W8ZR