[Amps] SCR to adjust 240v to 200v

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Fri Aug 12 22:13:09 EDT 2016

I've used a lot of high power SCRs in industry and built controllers
using them.
As Roy said, they will likely prove to be very difficult because of the
tremendous hash they create.

An SCR is turned on somewhere during one half of the AC cycle. A second
SCR handles the other half. The turn on leads to a very fast rise time
into an inductive load (the transformer). This creates a ringing through
a range of frequencies, much like a lightening strike.
There are ways of taming this, but In plain language, I think you will
find this approach a royal PITA
I again agree with Roy, that another transformer used in a bucking
configuration would be the most economical and probably easier than
replacing that transformer.

73

Roger (K8RI)