[Amps] AL-82 VS Acom 1000

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Fri Aug 19 12:02:49 EDT 2016

Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 10:55:19 -0700
From: Jim Brown <jim at audiosystemsgroup.com>
To: amps at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] AL-82 VS Acom 1000

I had an ACOM 1010 for a while that I bought used to use for CQP county
expeditions. It was fine to use, but IMD was a bit higher than my Titan
425 and my KPA500, so I eventually sold it. I was also put off by the
fact that ACOM WILL NOT PROVIDE A SCHEMATIC. Not a bad amp though, very
user friendly, easy to tune. The original owner sold it to buy a KPA500
to get 6M (the 1010 is 160-10, 500-600W).

The ACOM 1000 is essentially the same amp, same tube, but bigger power
supply so can run more power. It also covers 6M, which is a big plus if
you operate that band.

73, Jim K9YC

##  No schematics, WTF? Bye bye Acom.  I should as heck wouldnt buy one.
However, the schematic is online from various google sources, esp in the UK.
http://www.gmdx.org.uk/page-1671106 ..which has the complete manual + schematics
+ board layouts.

##  The pair of 3-500Zs  in the AL-82 for a 160-10m will work nicely...and has way better
IMD than any  GU-74B.   IF you were hell bent for  6m, that is another matter.   Adding
QSK to the AL-82 is not an issue.   Eimac never did make any tube called a 4CX-800, that’s
just creative nonsense on the part of Svetlana....selling their surplus military GU-74Bs..which
have been out of production for eons.

##  Nothing to blow up on a 3-500Z amp.   Most have zero grid protection.  If you want grid
protection, just install a rear apron mounted  3AGC fuse holder, and use a FAST 200-250 ma
rate fuse.  Wire the 3AGC fuse holder between  chassis and   positive of grid meter.... or positive
of the grid shunt.   High swr protection can easily be incorporated into the wattmeter, like whats
in the array solutions  power master series of watt meters.

##  The Acom 1000  is a 1 kw output amp.   and it wont put out 1 kw rtty /fm from more than 2-3 mins
per the manual.  The acom 1000 only weighs 18 kg, which is pretty light weight =  39.6 lbs.

##  the AL-82 weighs  76 lbs..and will do  1.5 kw rtty.  Simple amp to both operate and repair.  Parts
are easy to find..and readily available from  Ameritron and else where.
 http://www.ameritron.com/Product.php?productid=al-82

Jim   VE7RF