[Amps] Stock up on tubes?

Bill Turner dezrat at outlook.com
Sun Dec 4 17:48:45 EST 2016

On Sun, 4 Dec 2016 15:43:53 -0600, Kim wrote:

>When the SS devices are as easy to use *and* and cheap enough to meet our current
>hollow state device's price point, vacuum tubes will go the way of the
>dodo. We're progressing rapidly towards that, but it'll be a while, yet.

REPLY:

In terms of the device itself, that day is already here. The LDMOS
devices from NXP are fully capable of replacing tubes in a legal limit
amp and the price already beats tubes too. A pair of them that easily
puts out 1500 watts is around $400. Compare that to an 8877.

You can be sure designers are working hard to build the circuitry
around them that will soon make tubes pretty much obsolete.

FlexRadio already has a legal limit amp that is awaiting FCC approval
using said devices and they expect approval before the end of the
year.

As with everything, time will tell.

73, Bill W6WRT