[Amps] Stock up on tubes?

Catherine James catherine.james at att.net
Sun Dec 4 19:47:53 EST 2016

We'll see. Last time I looked, the cost per watt of solid state amps was still 2X vacuum tubes.

I'm sure that won't last forever, but I have not been seeing the price of complete solid state amps (as opposed to the devices on isolation) fall recently.

My fear is that the cost curves may be end up crossing entirely due to rising tube prices, rather than falling solid state prices. In other words, the end of the under-$1000 amp. This would be bad for the hobby.

73,
Cathy