[Amps] Stock up on tubes?

Bill Turner dezrat at outlook.com
Tue Dec 6 07:55:05 EST 2016

On Tue, 6 Dec 2016 04:02:19 -0800, you wrote:

>##  IMO,  replacing the  3-500Zs in a SB-220  with a single 8877, would be
>a huge wasted effort.   Everything from the cooling to tuned inputs, to
>bandswitch to PI net output + TR relays and also B+ supply would have to
>be replaced.... IE: the entire amp.
>
>Jim   VE7RF

REPLY:

Really?  I can see retuning the input and the mechanical issues, but
why would one need to change the bandswitch and other stuff mentioned
above?  Assuming the 8877 was only driven to the same output as the
original tubes, of course.

In my original post I did not suggest installing the 8877 to get more
power, but rather to get a more reliable tube with more headroom in
its ratings. 3-500's are notorious for becoming gassy and for having
the filament pins come unsoldered, depending on the brand. Some brands
do have welded pins and do not have that problem.

If you want more power you should get a different amp.

73, Bill W6WRT