[Amps] Stock up on tubes?

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Tue Dec 6 08:59:41 EST 2016

Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2016 19:51:37 -0800
From: Catherine James <catherine.james at att.net>
To: "qrv at kd4e.com" <qrv at kd4e.com>, "amps at contesting.com"
<amps at contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Stock up on tubes?

I think $1,000 for a commercial  SS amp based on this tech is way optimistic. We'll see once someone introduces it, or something similar.

Cathy
N5WVR

##  They would be great for a FM broadcast TX, where its sitting on a single freq, and  only requires one fixed LP filter... and
can be optimized for  that one freq.  The auto tuner isnt required, nor the myriad of relay switched LP filters. Heck,you dont require
a QSK or conventional TR relay setup either.  Rack mount it, then  let the fans + blowers make all the noise they want.... just shut the
door and walk away....and let it sit on TX  24/7.

## These LDMOS  devices... will they deliver any kind of power into a 62:1  SWR....pulsed or otherwise ?   I find that hard to believe.
What it might do is provide some more wiggle room.... till the conventional high swr shut down circuitry kicks in.

##  Have any of you folks seen a 500w / 1 kw  FM broadcast SS module ?  Typ rack mounted in a 19 /24 inch wide rack.  They are huge
things, a lot bigger than I thought.   They dwarf your typ 2m brick amp.

Jim   VE7RF