[Amps] TRANS WORLD TW500A-RM

David Gow d.gow at frontier.com
Wed Dec 21 19:40:56 EST 2016

I think there  is some sort of connection but the Transworld TW1000A and
TW500A are totally different beasts than the Metron 1000B if that is what
you are referring to.  The TW1000A and TW500A are large, heavy amplifiers
built for commercial and government service paired with a Transworld
transceiver. The TW series equipment was  found in US consulates worldwide.
They would run 24/7 at full output for RTTY or WEFAX.  I loved my TW1000A
and its 28 volt 80 amp.  ferro resonant transformer power supply.  I only
gave mine to my son in law because I downsized and had no room for the
equipment rack although it only took about 1/2 of a 5 foot rack. The back
story is that in 2005  bought two of the RF Decks and one 80 amp power
supply for $200 in from an ad on the local 75 meter swap net because he said
they did not work.  It turned out the power supply was jumpered for 240 volt
operation and someone had installed a 120 volt plug on the power cord.  That
didn't go over well at all with the ferro resonant power supply.  When I
replaced the plug with a 20 amp 240 volt plug I instantly got 1000 watts out
on all bands with less than 100 watts drive. The second RF deck had blown
final transistors and I sent it to Datron for repair.  $900 dollars later I
had it back with all eight 125 watt transistors replaced.  I also picked up
a surplus Telco 28 volt 40 amp power supply for the second deck but I don't
think he has connected it yet but is keeping the second deck and Telco
supply as spares since he has room.  The amplifier covers 1.8-30 Mhz
continuously with low pass filters switched for a number of frequency banks.

Dave W7VM