[Amps] IMD vs CW BW.

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Fri Dec 30 23:34:33 EST 2016

Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2016 01:27:49 -0800
From: Jim Brown <jim at audiosystemsgroup.com>
To: amps at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] FCC Denies Expert Linears' Request for Waiver of
15 dBRule

The IMD from this amp is significantly higher than my "good" amps, so
I'll eventually replace it, because I can't use it for contesting
(because the IMD makes it broad on CW). The Titan remains my contesting
amp, clean as the K3 that drives it at legal limit. But the SPE gives me
3 dB more than my KPA500 on 6M (and instant on at HF), which is why it's
on my operating desk. :)

Glen says the 1.3K he bought is close to 14-15 dB gain, but that the
vendor offered to tell him how to get the additional available gain. It
would, indeed, be nice if SPE used the additional gain to reduce IMD.
But the DXpeditioners love the 1.3K-FA -- it's light weight (thanks to
an SMPS), very close to legal limit. And when you're DX in the middle of
nowhere, you don't have neighbors who care if you're a bit broad. :)

73, Jim K9YC

##  Im trying to wrap my head around  poor  IMD  vs being broad on CW mode.
Im assuming a clean CW signal  from the xcvr.... driving an amp with mediocre
IMD.   Exactly what effect are you seeing.   Does it sound like key clicks.
How much broader are you talking about, several hundred hz or what.

Jim   VE7RF