[Amps] Alpha 87A Fault 17

Dick Green WC1M wc1m73 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 13:51:18 EST 2016

This one is a long-shot, but are you sure the amp doesn't have bad tuning parameters? It's conceivable that the user tuning parameters for 20m were for a non-resonant antenna or perhaps got corrupted by CPU power supply disruptions during the many faults this amp has experienced. If you haven't already, go back to using the default tuning and check 20m again. The default tuning parameters should work for a flat antenna, though wouldn't be optimized for max gain. I doubt both the default and user tuning parameters are corrupted, and I don't *think* the defaults can be overwritten by the user without issuing a special command on the RS-232 interface.

Another possibility is that someone disconnected the stepper motors from the variable caps or band switch, then moved the caps and/or band switch before reinstalling the motors. In other words, the optical counters on the motors may no longer be properly aligned with the caps and/or band switch. I can't recall if this is possible or if the optical counter is keyed so this can't happen. If not, a misalignment could cause massive tuning issues that would surely cause fault 17.

I've had the arc to L1 problem, and I'm pretty sure it will generate a fault 8 or 9 or maybe 1. I never got fault 17. Also, it's likely that the amp would produce some power (more than you're seeing) before L1 arcs and the amp faults. However, I would still carefully check L1 and the vicinity for any signs of arcing. On at least some revs of the 87A (perhaps the early ones), the rubber insulating pad under it disintegrates over time, allowing the coil turns to arc to the PCB and the screw near L1.

I agree that it's not likely to be the band switch alignment if fault 17 occurs on every band, unless the band switch is seriously out of alignment. As described above, that's not likely unless someone disconnected the stepper motor and moved the band switch before replacing the motor.

FWIW, I don't believe the problem with fault 17 is that the amp reports the last fault. As Dick Ehrhorn described it to me, the 87A firmware reads the sensors in its main loop. The sequence of instructions checks for a gain fault before checking for the many other faults that could be causing it. For example, you usually get fault 17 instead of fault 13 when overdriving the amp. Yeah, it's a gain fault, but that's not the problem. The typical way to deal with this would have been to redesign the fault processing to be interrupt-driven, which perhaps the programmer didn't know how to do or there wasn't room in the firmware memory to do it. Perhaps a simpler fix would have been for the code to reset the sensor checking sequence whenever it detects a fault condition. That would allow it to recheck the sensors in a more informative sequence.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you find.

73, Dick WC1M