[Amps] Alpha 87a Low receive

Robert Arenella rja12 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 13 10:10:04 EDT 2016

     My Alpha 86 had an Rx fuse and pin diode T/R switching.  If that
fuse popped, my amp had exactly the same symptoms exhibited by your 87A.
I had a pin diode failure that took out the PA's in my flex 5000.  I
finally had enough......sent the amp off to Dick Byrd, N4UQ.  He mods
the T/R board and eliminates the pin diodes & Rx fuse.  T/R switching is
now handled seamlessly with a vacuum relay. No more trips or faults, the
amp just works.  Those pin diodes are the Achilles Heel of every Alpha
amp that uses them

    The pin diodes are still available, but they are very expensive.

73 de Bob
N2OAM

PS   I have no connection to Dick Byrd, just a very happy customer.