[Amps] SB-220 fixed

Catherine James catherine.james at att.net
Thu Nov 3 18:49:48 EDT 2016

As you might expect, this problem turned out to be trivial once found.

The problem was that the black B- wire running from the cap board to the diode/mixer board was hanging by a thread.  Heath used stranded wire for this; if I were building from scratch, I'd probably use solid.

It *looked* like it was attached, and when I did the meter testing the other day I must have contacted the wire instead of the joint. But I went to examine the joint closer, the one or two strands that were holding it broke off with no effort.  A quick re-stripping and re-solder and...

I'm now getting 3100V+ on the built-in HV meter.  All good.  Now I just need to reassemble everything, close the case, and see if I can make the RF come out and the smoke stay in. :-)

Thanks for the help and encouragement.  The moral of the story is, when you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.  Usually it's something silly like a bad joint or a bum resistor.  For a while, I forgot that key bit of advice.

73,
Cathy