[Amps] Acom 2000A - typical output power?

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Sun Sep 18 13:40:05 EDT 2016

Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2016 20:02:04 -0700
From: Jim Brown <jim at audiosystemsgroup.com>
To: Amps Amps <amps at contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] FW: Acom 2000A - typical output power?

On Sat,9/17/2016 5:35 PM, Mark Bitterlich wrote:

> And if I may, I've always had tremendous respect for FCC rules and
> regulations, but that said, comparing a gent who has Rhombics facing
> each cardinal direction fed with 1500 watts, compared to some poor
> soul with a dipole running his home brew pair of 4-1000's or even a
> 3CX10000..... No, it is not legal... but when trying to bust the
> pile-up,  I get it.  Just sayin.

The FCC Rules say "Output Power", NOT ERP (except on 60M).  How can you
say you have "tremendous respect for FCC rules" and then say you run
illegal power when you think you need to?  :)  The Rules encourage us to
build better antennas. And how many "gents" do you know with ANY
Rhombic, let alone Rhombics in multiple directions? Even one Rhombic
takes a lot of real estate! IMO, this sort of thing is mostly urban
legend and rumor -- the "oft-repeated lie" that is taken as truth. Or
maybe I've led a sheltered life.

I've worked a fair number of DXpeditions with 5W, some of them pretty
rare.  My highest gain antenna is the smallest 3-el SteppIR. I also run
legal limit in contests where I'm seriously competing. :)

73, Jim K9YC

## More stupid rules.  1.5 kw into an 80M yagi up 200 ft is OK..
but 5 kw into a dipole is a no no.   What do you mean by...encourage us
to build better antennas ?   Are you talking about the fellows with the
6 over 6 over 6 over 6  on every band, or the folks with  stacked yagis
on 40M ?   So the...rules are slanted towards folks with loads of real estate,
and deep pockets, and loads of resources.   Who ever has the most $$$,wins.

##  I mean, really, who cares how you go about achieving ERP.   Sure the
5 kw amp doesnt do anything for you on RX...but at least it works on TX,
and on all bands....unlike monoband yagis.

##  You cant work em if you cant hear em.   Well I say you cant work em
if they cant hear you!

##  Your 3-el SteppIR is a good yagi....esp since you have it up 120 feet,
and live in the mountains, on acreage, and where its  dead quiet and you can hear
a pin drop...on all bands   Try the same yagi, on a postage stamp sized city lot, and only up 35
feet...with plenty of noise.    160m on a city lot is a riot, anything less than S9+ cant be heard.
Switchable 160M  RX arrays  dont work.... they are always pointed at a noise source.
Of course then I get the dumbass  who will rant on about his wonderful 1000 ft long beverage,
and suggest to me.... why dont you put one up ?   Sure buddy, I will just run it through 8-10
of my neighbours backyards.

##  You dont even want to know about urban legend and rumour, because its not.
When the little guy gets stomped on long enough....he has only so many options left..
and winning the power ball isnt one of them.   Back in 1969-1970, folks running a
SB-220, in CW mode, driving a  HB  4x5 tube, with the screen + grid strapped to ground
to make a high mu triode..then  into RG-17...was normal..at least here on the west coast.
Nothing has changed since, I know all the players.   3 x 4-1000s  was not out of the norm,
and pairs of them  was standard procedure.   These days, its all metal tubes.  5-10-25 kw
bird /coaxial dynamics slugs still fly off the shelves.  Ok, end of rant.

Jim  VE7RF