[Amps] Price per Watt Conversation

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Tue Apr 25 10:17:24 EDT 2017

Efficiency is not high on my priority list "as long as the heat
generated is easy to manage" and ceased to be a concern when the legal
limit went to output instead of input..  OTOH predistortion, or Adaptive
predistortion would appear to allow both efficiency and quality.

At close to 200W per device, it would require 8 devices in a circuit
much like the Yaesu Quadra, but with a legal limit out for less money.
BTW I saw several posts praising the Quadra, but the Quadra has several
inherent problems in the basic design according to the Yaesu news
groups..  One is the PS is designed for 220 VAC and not the current
standard of 240 leading to a number of failures. Another is the way the
power supplies feed the individual amps. OTOH it is a nice amp and I do
see a number of hams claiming to be running 1200W out for many years.  I
have two.

73, Roger (K8RI)