[Amps] Ham Tests, was Price per Watt Conversation

Mark Bitterlich markbitterlich at embarqmail.com
Thu Apr 27 19:46:40 EDT 2017

"I'm sure if the Titanic radio op had voice capability he would have
used it first. Of course in the Titanic case it wouldn't have mattered
since the only ship listening was too far away. "  Bill W6WRT

The above is a typical "Bill W6WRT" response.  Biased, made to believe he is
always correct, and belittling of the person who disagreed with him.  Worse
it does disservice to the hero's of the day who used Morse Code to save over
half of the crew of this famous ship.

Actually numerous ships and shore stations heard the Titanic.  Not just "the
only ship listening" as W6WRT would have you believe, which is just so much
misinformation.

"Come at once. We have struck a berg. It's a CQD, old man," the Titanic
called to another ship, the Carpathia.
"We have struck an iceberg and sinking by the head," she told a German ship,
the Frankfurt.

"In response her sister ship, the Olympic called back: "Am lighting up all
boilers as fast as we can."

"there was "never a tremor" in the Morse tapped out by Jack Phillips."

"I will never live to forget the work of Phillips during the last awful 15
minutes," said Bride.

"I suddenly felt a great reverence to see him standing there sticking to his
work while everybody else was raging about."

To repeat:  "Bill Turner" <dezrat at outlook.com> said:  "Relying on CW will
get people killed."

No, I don't think so Bill.  History has shown overwise.  But you can ignore
history if you'd like.

Mark Bitterlich

WA3JPY