[Amps] peak voltage rating for load cap

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Sat Aug 19 08:26:58 EDT 2017

On 8/19/2017 7:42 AM, Alek Petkovic wrote:
 > I always thought, that for the loading capacitor, you just use the old
 > "Power = V squared over R" formula.

That will give you average (RMS) voltage with SWR = 1:1.  For peak
voltage, multiply by 1.414 (peak voltage of a sine wave):  316 * 1.414
= 447 V.

> Your 1200V capacitor will do the job with adequate headroom., when
> your system is all tuned and matched.
Multiply the peak voltage by the SWR for worst case peak voltage if
the voltage node occurs on the capacitor - 316 * 1.414 * 3 = 1340V.
A 1200 volt rated capacitor will be marginal in a *system* allowing
for a maximum SWR of 3:1 at 2 KW - it will be barely adequate when
the system is designed for 1500 W (1166 V).

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV