[Amps] NXP 65V LDMOS 1K80H-1800W

Catherine James catherine.james at att.net
Mon Dec 25 10:12:04 EST 2017

I don't think the demand for amateur amplifiers is high enough to justify many different models or very many manufacturers. We are lucky to have what we have.
Realistically, how large can the market for an $8K hobby item be?
Pricing pressure will only get worse as Boomer hams are replaced by Gen X and Millennial hams with lower incomes and less wealth.
The future of amps, both tube and SS, is mostly at the low end of the price range.

Cathy

  On Mon, Dec 25, 2017 at 10:02 AM, kstover at ac0h.net<kstover at ac0h.net> wrote:  What are we down to now for tube amp manufacturers? One and a half,
Ameritron and Alpha?

There has been two new tube amps brought to market in the last 15 years, the Alpha 9500 and 8410 but it doesn't count because it uses those pesky evil
Chinese tetrodes. Other than  that they've  ALL been SSPA's. The top of the
line SPE and the KPA1500 include auto-tuners. The one in the Elecraft is
exceptional.