[Amps] 3CX1500A7/8877

John Lyles jtml at losalamos.com
Mon Feb 13 01:25:34 EST 2017

Around 1980-84, I was an RF engineer on a team that built a series of
new FM broadcast transmitters in Quincy, Illinois. All were tetrode
designs using the newest tubes with handles from Eimac at the time,
4CX3500A, 4CX7500A, 4CX12,000A/8989, and 4CX20,000A/8990. At the time,
solid state devices were mostly bipolars and only NHK in Japan had just
started experimenting to build a kW with MOSFETs. We built one triode
amplifier for the lower power broadcasters, the Broadcast Electronics
FM1.5A. It had a transmission line PA made from copper water pipe,
folded around a U shape with a 3CX1500A7/8877 at one end. It was a
grounded-grid circuit usable to 108 MHz, with 1.7 kW CW output.
Efficiency wasn't bad, as it was a cavity circuit, and the input tuning
was very close. The grid to ground inductance was very low with the tube
socket that we made.

A few years ago I traded out a scrapper Medium Wave transmitter to a
fellow, who sent me the PA drawer out of a FM1.5A. That brought up lots
of memories and deserved photos.

It was always pointed out by Sutherland and Orr at Eimac to get the
cathode inductance contribution in the circuit as small as possible, or
to tune it out. Otherwise a portion of the drive voltage between cathode
and grid is across that inductance. But we were talking about VHF.

73
John K5PRO