[Amps] SS amps watercooling - was PowerGenius XL

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Tue Feb 21 10:22:06 EST 2017

Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 19:05:27 -0500
From: "Ray, W4BYG" <w4byg at att.net>
To: "amps at contesting.com" <amps at contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SS amps watercooling - was PowerGenius XL

FYI:  I'm afraid I have to disagree on the statement below about
distilled water being conductive.

In industrial experiments in the use of distilled water,  I found it to
be very non-conductive.  If I recall correctly, it has a measured
conductivity of 50 to maybe 100 micro-Siemens per centimeter squared.
That's not much.  Pure water becomes conductive only if it becomes
contaminated with salt like contaminates.  For a comparison, seawater
typically measures in the thousands of micro-Siemens per centimeter
squared, because of the high salt content.

While working on a clients project to do so, I spent many hours
attempting to inject RF into water of various solutions.  It was very
difficult in the lab trying to get RF to propagate thru pure water.
Other more contaminated solutions not so much..
73,
Ray, W4BYG

##  re-read the post. Neither roger nor I said distilled water is conductive.
I got out 2 identical plastic caps, and filled one with new distilled water,and
the 2nd one with tap water from the kitchen sink.   Then stuffed the fluke 87a
probes into each one.... dried off between tests.  Distilled water reads sky high
resistance... vs  tap water.   Thats good enough for me.  Distilled water is dirt cheap
to buy and would make an excellent coolant for water cooled LDMOS.   Dunno
how often it would have to be changed out.   Even if it was every 6 months to a year,
or even far less, who cares.  Simple procedure.

Jim  VE7RF