[Amps] SS amps watercooling - was PowerGenius XL

John Lyles jtml at losalamos.com
Mon Feb 20 21:37:31 EST 2017

Continuing this thread, we used deionized/deoxygenated water for our RF
power tubes at the accelerator plant. I designed the anode cooling
tubing to have no more than 500 uA of leakage current per hose, based on
old RCA and Eimac application notes. This is at 23 kV DC plate voltage.
The resistivity always stays above 2 Megohm-cm for this. We have
Culligan bottles that are always bypassing a fraction of the 900 GPM
that cools the four transmitters, all of the tubes.

On the other hand, we use long water column dummy loads (no resistors
inside) that are about 5 wavelengths long at 200 MHz. They need some
conductivity, so we use the same deionized water, then dope it with
about 0.5% of a particular corrosion inhibitor that has a molybdate
salt. This yields a DC conductivity (1/resistivity) of about 490 uS/cm.
With this there is a 20 dB return loss in the load. It is tuned with the
concentration of solute.

Both the ultra pure deionized system and the ionized doped system are
closed loop with pumps and a heat exchanger, that has cooling tower
water on the other side.

We have some air cooling for things like filament stem under tubes, and
heat sinks/resistors in various power supplies, but the majority is
water cooled 24/7.
73
John
K5PRO