[Amps] SS amps watercooling - was PowerGenius XL

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Mon Feb 27 07:00:45 EST 2017

> "##  Which I think was the vapor phase cooled version of an 8877."

To the best of my knowledge, Eimac never mass-produced a vapor-cooled
version of the 8877.  The 70V uses a 3CV1500A7 and is electrically identical
to the 3CX1000A7.  The physical structure is nearly identical, except that
the CV version has a boiler attached to the anode and results in higher
plate dissipation.

Jack Quinn's "Stanley Steamer" amp, shown in the May, 1966 issue of QST uses
a 4CV1500B tetrode.  I've never seen this tube but Eimac lists it on page 36
of their 1969 catalog:

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Catalogs/EIMAC/Eimac-Catalog-196
9.pdf

The catalog pre-dates the 70V design by one year.  So, I would expect to see
the 3CV1500A7 listed the following year.  The catalog shows a very
impressive manufacturing operation in San Carlos during Eimac's best years.
By 1975, both the 3CV1500A7 and 4CV1500B are missing in Eimac's annual
catalog.

Paul, W9AC