[Amps] Meaningful Conversations was: VHF all-mode and DC-to-daylight rigs

Steve Wright stevewrightnz at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 02:17:22 EST 2017

On 08/01/17 04:45,  Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred at ludens.cl> wrote:

> I have used WSJT, [....] but my interest quickly faded, for the same reason that I don't do DX in the usual way

I too have a completely different approach to DX.

I run 1KW into a wire skeleton slot antenna, run no processor, one bar
of ALC, and eSSB.  It's huge!  I get more abuse than compliments!  :D

My receive audio side is DC to 5KHz wide into my home theatre system,
and your S9+10dB signal sounds like an AM radio station - I kid you not!

I get on the air and deliberately try NOT to do DX, and I get calls from
all over the planet saying, "oh hey, whoppa signal, and brilliant
audio".  We talk and laugh for hours and hours about curing and
cold-smoking fish and game, loud vtwin motorcycles, useless son-in-laws,
and we are inadvertently derogatory about everything we can find - it's
enormously satisfying!

I too, crave for the day we can do this over satellites for hours and
hours...