[Amps] Alpha Seventy HV Meter Readings

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Thu Jan 12 17:29:52 EST 2017

Jim,

In addition to the five series 1 meg resistors from HV+, there's a 6th resistor, a 15K 1/2W in parallel with the panel multimeter.  However, the 15K resistor is across the multimeter only when the meter mode switch is in the HV position -- otherwise it would affect other readings.  The combination of the meter in parallel with the 15K resistor is in series with all 5 string resistors on the cold end.  The meter's low internal R swamps the 15K resistor.  In fact, I confirmed it by briefly removing the 15K resistor from the circuit while testing in the HV position and the meter read little change.   It would appear the primary reason for the 15K resistor is to float-down the HV on the multimeter switch for safety and eliminate any HV contact arcing when switching between meter positions.   Here's how I reached the 4.5 meg value:

5KV is full scale on the 1 mA movement.  But I need the equivalent of 1.1 mA for full scale (FS) because the meter is reading 500V low.  That's a meter current discrepancy of 0.1 mA as each 1KV change is 0.2 mA.  The meter legend is nearly linear between KV markings as expected.  Neglecting the meter's small internal R, 5KV/1.1 mA = 4.54 meg instead of 5.0 meg as designed.  I ordered several values so that I end up as close as possible.  I don’t care if the meter is really 1.0 mA FS or not.  I just know that an additional 0.1 mA is needed.  If the meter is linear, then the computation should be reasonably close.

I may as well document the internal meter resistance, using a series R and a pot as a rheostat in parallel across the meter.  With a bench DC power supply, adjust series R for full scale, then exactly half scale with the rheostat.  Remove rheostat and measure it.  The result is the meter's internal DC resistance.

Paul, W9AC