[Amps] Tube amps are not a thing of the past

N1BUG paul at n1bug.com
Mon Jun 5 14:15:43 EDT 2017

I just cut the anode off a dud 4CX1000A. The control grid structure
cannot be seen until I determine how to cut away the screen grid
without destroying the control grid which I am going to guess is not
far inside it.

I ran a 4CX1000A with 5 mA grid current on CW at 144 MHz for years.
I don't know whether the tube was harmed in any way but this but
performance never changed. I had it biased to near cutoff with only
about 10 mA plate idling current, but I don't recall what the grid
voltage was. I would guess somewhere around 75V. At 5 mA that's
still not much grid dissipation!

Paul

--
Paul