[Amps] SS amps watercooling - was PowerGenius XL

donroden at hiwaay.net donroden at hiwaay.net
Tue Mar 7 10:42:32 EST 2017

Joe,

On the big 55KW  UHF TV klystrons, we just used steam distilled water.
   ( Forty years maintaining water cooled klystrons. )

There may have been some copper or solder contamination after several
years, and when the distilled water evaporated ( open to atmosphere ),
we just added more distilled water.    Some time between the first
fill and subsequent re-fills, there was probably an equilibrium of
leached metals. ( subject to discussion )

We always ran our vapor-phase klystrons WAAY below steam ( 212degrees )
typically more like 160 degrees.    We were able to do that because we
had a 120KW water-to-air radiator and the transmitter was only 66KW.
I understood the physics of vapor phase, but saw no advantage of
keeping everything at boiling.  It just created more problems than it
was worth.

Don W4DNR