[Amps] SS amps watercooling - was PowerGenius XL

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Tue Mar 7 04:46:36 EST 2017

Sorry, but that is not true.  I too used to think of distilled water as
being neutral, but, "pure, distilled water is highly corrosive and will
suck up metallic ions like mad.

Water is one of the best mediums for heat transfer, however, tap water
would work well in a SS amp with the heat sink/spreader at chassis
ground potential. Tap water would not wok in a tupe amp where it has to
cool the anode of a tube at a high potential.

I worked with this stuff (DI & Distilled)  for close to 20 years.

73

Roger (K8RI)

On 3/6/2017 10:12 AM, Al Kozakiewicz wrote:
> Distilled water is deionized by definition.  Ions have a much lower vapor pressure than H2O and thus aren't boiled off in the process. Distillation is a common way of producing deionized water.
>
> Water is not "highly corrosive". It has a pH of 7 - completely neutral. If the water being distilled has corrosive contaminates whose vapor pressure is greater than water, then the distillate will have them too, but since the VP of water is already higher than the mineral salts that are the typical corrosives, the most likely contaminates are organic.
>
> This anecdote has some more complicated explanation than "distilled water is highly corrosive".
>
> Al
> AB2ZY

---