[Amps] HV MOSFETs for RF

Shane Youhouse kd6vxi at gmail.com
Tue May 9 15:54:43 EDT 2017

The efficiency goes to hell because all solid state amps I know of in ham
TX are broadband.

Therefore, they will ONLY have decent efficiency at the designed for level.

12 volt final, running at 50 watts pep will have a load of 1.4 ohms

Same final xister running at 15 watts pep will have 4.8 ohm collector
impedance.

Also, broadband binocular cores suck.  Go to transmission line xformers.
Mas Grande better.

Shunt feed the DC to keep DC off the binocular cores if that's what your
going to use.  Get the DC out of their, only serves to heat the brass and
ferrite.

Other tricks are available, as we talked about off line years ago.  Just
like tubes, you need a stiff bias supply, that can handle PEAK current
draw, not just idle. Meaning, as Manfred pointed out, it must source
multiple amps PER transistor. And your B+ must be rock stable as well.

And lots of dissipation.

--Shane
KD6VXI