[Amps] HV MOSFETs for RF

Leigh Turner invertech at frontierisp.net.au
Tue May 9 21:53:45 EDT 2017

Yeah Peter's Class-A amp is likely run with considerable back-off so the
expected efficiency figures seem worse. Nevertheless I'm sure it runs
squeaky-clean with very low IMD at 25 Watts PEP.

The "average operator" to whom you refer is often clueless in adjusting
their rig and amp combos for attaining good end-to-end Tx IMD.

New SS amps like the OM-600 etc are primarily designed with modern SDR
exciters in mind, those owners being their target audience rather than
conventional 100/200W rigs. The latter requiring a power attenuator pad to
properly interface and achieve the systemic operational sweet-spot and no
nasty power overshoot possibilities. In some respects this is not unlike the
situation with a high-gain grid-driven AB1 tetrode linear amplifier.

In the ham HF context I would regard IMD levels attained by the classic
Yaesu FT-767GX or the Icom IC-751A rigs as perfectly acceptable with their
2-tone IMD performance and cleanness of their on-air signal. Sadly few
successive modern ham rigs managed to attain / retain this good benchmark in
respect of IM3 and curtailing the more troublesome higher order stuff :-(

Marine HF radios of virtually any era routinely achieve this good level of
IMD performance because all Tx user controls are removed from the front
panel so the rig always stays in its sweet spot mode no matter what.

Similarly the commercial and military HF radio manufacturers like Codan, etc
routinely attain excellent Tx IMD performance from the very same families of
RF power devices used by the ham radio manufacturers; so it can be done if
the will and commitment to do it is there.

Leigh
VK5KLT