[Amps] Interesting new amplifier

Carl km1h at jeremy.qozzy.com
Sat May 20 09:37:04 EDT 2017

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom at telus.net>
To: <amps at contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, May 20, 2017 7:57 AM
Subject: [Amps] Interesting new amplifier

> Date: Fri, 19 May 2017 18:08:47 -0400
> From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri at rogerhalstead.com>
> To: amps at contesting.com
> Subject: Re: [Amps] Interesting new amplifier
>
> <As others have already said, FCC approval does not apply to imported
> <amps. That's why you could purchase Emtron's DX-2sp, DX-3sp, and DX5
> tetrode amps. The gain was not limited as is the gain for the OM amps.
>
> IOW, you could import a 10 or 20 KW band switched amp with 20 plus db
> gain, no questions asked.  This gave us the ability to purchase a manual
> tuned amp with enough overhead to run digital @ 100% duty cycle.  Of
> course that overhead also gave the ability to run 2.5 to 3 KW PEP.
>
> The only caveat is they have no US based sales outlets.
>
> The gain limit has long been outdated as the reason for it has not
> existed for decades.  Will the FCC ever get rid of limiting the gain of
> separate amps? Recently there were letters of comment that were almost
> irate about removing the gain limits. Apparently those hams are still
> living in the past. The same can be said for amps being sold that
> require hams to modify them to cover 10 meters.
>

> 73, Roger (K8RI)
>
> ##  check out the OM-4000 on OMs  website.....vs the ...FCC approved
> version of the same  OM-4000  sold by array solutions..on the AS site.
> The real deal
> OM version the factory sells is rated at 4.5 kw out.    The  ...FCC
> approved version
> that array solutions sells is rated for 1.5 kw out..and has an attenuator
> pad on the input.
> Being cpu controlled with a freq counter built into it, it also wont TX on
> 11m and freeband, only
> 24.880 to  24.890  and also 28.000  to 29.700.   It wont work on the 30M
> band either...
> 10.1 to 10.150.  it will also shut down if it sees the drive level input
> watts exceeding XXX amount.
>
> ##  so it looks like there is some fcc rules still in effect to have to
> make that OM-4000 amp
> compliant, to be sold in the  USA...AT  A US  DEALER.  The palstar 3 holer
> was export only.
> I asked palstar about this a  few yrs back. They would  ship the 3 holer
> to a usa address,
> the idea being I could pick it up across the border, 18 miles away.
> However, zero problems if
> it was  shipped outside the usa....and direct to my home address.
> A buddy of mine in  Nevada  wanted the 3 holer real bad.  The only way he
> could get one was for me to
> buy it for him, have it shipped to my home address, then  re-ship it back
> to his home adress...which is
> perfectly legal.
>
> ##  The rules are for US dealers  shipping to US address’s...then it has
> to be ....compliant.
>
> ##  Anything the US ham  imports directly from outside the usa is legal,
> you can buy anything you want.
> On a similar note, that  4Z4 ham who sells the SS  kw amps on ebay, also
> [...]

Out this way a lot of amp stuff enters the US via Halifax, Montreal, and
Windsor with nary a peep.

It is quite simple for a Made In The USA label to be made on your PC and
placed over (or remove the original) and the opened box (or unboxed) amp to
be driven thru as personal property.....no reason needed.
There are several variants possible.

Carl

---
http://www.avg.com