[Amps] new amp race

Carl km1h at jeremy.qozzy.com
Sun May 21 09:51:01 EDT 2017

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom at telus.net>
To: <amps at contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, May 20, 2017 10:20 PM
Subject: [Amps] new amp race

> Date: Sun, 21 May 2017 01:53:03 +0000
> From: Charles H <k4vud at hotmail.com>
> To: "amps at contesting.com" <amps at contesting.com>
> Subject: [Amps] new amp race
>
> <I watched as EU ruined itself in contests with super high power big
> antenna stations.  Result seems to be they can not hear weaker long
> distant stations.... so end up working each other in a band full of huge
> sigs.
>

> <Seems now everyone everywhere is looking for at least 2.5 KW fighting low
> sunspots and egos.
>

> <Just like the arms race, the amps race results in all being "equal"
> again.  Before 200 w worked ok and most had 100 or 200 watts.  Now seems
> many will have at least 2.5 KW and results are about same, just sharper,
> wider elbows.
>

> <The new amp race, Sad.  73, Charly
>

> ##  is this on CW...or  SSB...or both ?     IMD on SSB and key clix on CW
> will just make things worse.   Big difference between the 200w  ANAN 8000
> with its  -80 dbc  IMD3....and a $14,000.00   400w yaesu
> FT-9000MP..and its abysmal  -12 db  IMD3 .   Thats  apples and oranges.
> Esp when you now have the case where the anan –8000  xcvr is cleaner than
> say the  8877 amp. With the pre-distortion trick, now extended to any amp,
> you can now correct for the amp..and improve its imd by 10-18 db...and
> thats on top of the oem 8877  imd specs.
>
> ##  Loud signals are an issue..with bigger amps and even bigger ants.
> But a 3 kw amp is only 3 db louder than a 1.5 kw amp.   3db is not about
> to  trash the bands.  But toss in another 3db from bigger ants,
> then we are up to 6 db louder.  Then toss in sub standard  IMD /  key
> clix, etc, and now you have a real mess on your hands..which gets even
> worse when speech processing is used.  Any processing will increase
> the average level of the already lousy imd .  Then we have the contesters
> who TX on a 2.4 khz filter..then RX on a 1.8 khz filter.
> The ARRL, etc, should get off their butts  and get on a new crusade,  low
> imd, and minimal clix.   Other than phase noise,  I see no further
> improvements that can be made on RX.   RX is maxed out, focus on the
> TX side.
>
> ##  then we have the issue of the ambient noise on RX  slowly increasing
> over the years..... similar to light pollution for amateur astronomers.
> Some folks are maxed out for ants already, they cant get any more gain
> on their postage sized city lot.  Noise is higher,  so no wonder 1 kw is
> now the new 100w.
>
> Jim  VE7RF

It reminds me more of the horsepower races. It started seriously in the mid
50's and ended by 71 when the Govt and insurance agencies cracked down.

Then more recently 300 hp was par for the course in family cars where half
that moved people just as well a few years before at the same weights. Now
600-750 hp can be driven off the showroom floor and even more when tuned.
Over 1000 hp is available in the super cars for the rich even in Europe.

It makes my roughly 400-425 hp 68 Impala seem like grannies ride.

Carl

---
http://www.avg.com