[Amps] new amp race

Kevin Stover, AC0H kstover at ac0h.net
Sun May 21 12:07:57 EDT 2017

And they're doing it with V-6's.

Ford Eco-Boost V6 will make 365hp. Of course it's twin turbo's make that
possible.

My 1969 Chevy El Camino SS with a 396 big block would make 375. The goal
used to be 1hp per cubic inch of displacement, normally aspirated.

Engine technology has come a long way. Best thing that happened was
ditching the cast iron blocks and going to Aluminum and iron sleeves.
HUGE weight savings and nothing makes mpg's like cutting weight.

Add to that computer control, four valves per cylinder, overhead cams,
etc....

Yes, I loved that El Camino. Would I drive it today? Probably not. They
don't make gasoline for it anymore.

It reminds me more of the horsepower races. It started seriously in the
> mid 50's and ended by 71 when the Govt and insurance agencies cracked down.
>
> Then more recently 300 hp was par for the course in family cars where
> half that moved people just as well a few years before at the same
> weights. Now 600-750 hp can be driven off the showroom floor and even
> more when tuned. Over 1000 hp is available in the super cars for the
> rich even in Europe.
>
> It makes my roughly 400-425 hp 68 Impala seem like grannies ride.
>
> Carl
>
> ---
> http://www.avg.com

R. Kevin Stover    AC0H