[Amps] Novice heater choke question

Larry larry at w7iuv.com
Wed May 24 12:38:16 EDT 2017

> As the FCC proposal for this band includes a restriction to 5 watts EIRP
> ... do you think an amp there is within the rules?

It would really be nice if the guys crabbing about rules violations
actually knew what the rules were!

The FCC limits power on the 137 kHz band to 1 watt (that is a "ONE")
EIRP. I believe that is an international rule as well.

In point of fact, since the typical antenna system on 137 kHz has a gain
of -25 to-40 dBi (note the minus sign!!!), a 1 KW out amplifier is quite
reasonable!

BTW, here in the USA, those of us with experimental licenses can run as
much power we ask for on the grant application! At the moment, even
though the 137 and 475 kHz bands have been allocated for Amatuer use, we
do NOT have permission to use them yet! Of course those of us who have
an experimental grant are actively using those bands right now and have
been for quite some time.

73,

Larry - W7IUV / WH2XGP