[Amps] Plate coupling capacitor value

Bill Turner dezrat at outlook.com
Sat Sep 9 13:08:51 EDT 2017

On Sat, 09 Sep 2017 16:53:24 +0000, Manfred wrote:

>Specially if tubes are used that have a lot of internal and stray
>capacitance, the loaded Q of the PI tank typically has to be rather high
>on 10 meters

REPLY:

There is a better way to tune 10 and 12 meters despite high tube
output and stray capacitance. A small coil in the anode lead will
create an "L" network which reduces the plate impedance on those bands
and permits use of a larger tune capacitor. This technique is
discussed in the amplifiers section of any recent ARRL handbook. I
have used it on all my HF and six meter amps and it works like magic.
Try it, you'll like it!

73, Bill W6WRT

---