[Amps] Plate coupling capacitor value

Carl km1h at jeremy.qozzy.com
Sat Sep 9 20:30:56 EDT 2017

That goes back to the late 30's when SW broadcasting went above the 25, 22,
and 19M bands and were still using older design tubes.

The actual circuit was to tap the coil that was computed at a convenient
point at dead center or less. A center tap resulted in a 4X increase in the
Tune C while taps at lesser turns had less of an effect.

For a ham amp the tap to allow full 10M tuning also affects lower bands and
is a wash by 20M. My first use of this was in the 70's to enable 4 GG 813's
to cover 160-10 which they did quite well at 3000V.

A pair of 803's were also used at about 1200W out 80-20 also at 3000V the
same way.

More recently a Clipperton L was converted to 6M.where they were happy at
1200-1300W.

Carl