[Amps] Plate coupling capacitor value

Manfred Mornhinweg manfred at ludens.cl
Mon Sep 11 13:50:19 EDT 2017

Bill, Carl,

> There is a better way to tune 10 and 12 meters despite high tube
> output and stray capacitance. A small coil in the anode lead will
> create an "L" network which reduces the plate impedance on those bands
> and permits use of a larger tune capacitor.

Yes, that's right. And the same technique can very well be extended, so
that the matching network becomes a cascade of several L networks. The
nicest thing about this configuration is that the total Q of such a
matching network can be lower than what's required to implement the full
impedance transformation in a single L network, let alone a single PI.
This lower Q provides a larger bandwidth, without having to retune.

You surely know those hybrid ICs used as power amplifier chains in VHF
and UHF radios. These typically have such cascaded L networks, with 3 or
4 stages. This allows a 12V 80W module, for example, to cover 136 to
174MHz with nearly flat performance.

> The actual circuit was to tap the coil

And this technique too is commonly used in tuned solid state amps. The
coil is implemented as a single trace on the printed board (a
microstripline), and several chip capacitors are soldered between the
microstripline and the ground foil, at precisely calculated points. I
have witnessed non-RF-savvy electronic engineers looking at such
amplifiers and scratching their heads about how that works...

Manfred