[Amps] Big HV Supply

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Mon Aug 6 12:29:18 EDT 2018

Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2018 15:46:55 -0400
From: "Carl" <km1h at jeremy.qozzy.com>
To: "John Keating" <john.keating at outlook.com>, "Jim"
<jimw7ry at gmail.com>, "'Herbert Schoenbohm'"
<herbert.schoenbohm at gmail.com>, "'Amps group'" <amps at contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Big HV Supply

<All the big Amp Supply transformers were Dahl, some had a tapped HV winding
<for the LK-550 and LK-800 and others were custom non advertised for the
<3CPX800A7 LK-800

<You would be surprised at how many went to 160M "big guns". There is little
<honor on that band any longer.

<Carl

##  How much power can u get out of a LK-550  or  LK-800..with a big xfmr ?
I dont even know what tube  or how many many tubes were in those amps.

What are we talking abt here, like  3 x 3cpx800a7s   putting out 3.5 kw   or what ?
I wouldnt get wound up abt a lousy  3 – 4db esp on 160m band.  IMO, they should
increase the limit on 160m.  Thats  one band where some extra.. oomph would work,
esp with sky high noise levels.   Noise level with typ ssb rx filter band widths typ  results
in high noise levels... making life a bitch on 160m  ssb.

Jim   VE7RF