[Amps] Alpha 87A problems

Jerry O. Stern jsternmd at att.net
Sat Sep 29 12:43:44 EDT 2018

When you say "Alpha systems"... do you mean AlphaRFSystems?

Have you tried Brad's K0HM Electronic Repair  or reaching out to Glenn
Pladsen (AE0Q) gm5bkc at gmail.com?

Brad Focken
6288 Gunshot Pass Dr.
Colorado Springs, Colorado 80917
Phone: 719-629-7045
Phone: 303-579-5173
Website: www.k0hm.net

I have notes on virtually everything published on the web about Alpha 87a
faults and I was surprised to find nothing on Fault 16.    Not many parts in
the plate circuit that could fail to cause high plate current on RX.
Could be something as simple as a shorted cap in the HV supply, Any of C1 -
C9.  Could be bad tube.  I recall the original "Alpha" company suggesting
the following check for startup faults (if you are familiar with HV amps):

Disconnect both anodes and let the amplifier go past the 3 minute warm up.
Let it set for 10-20 minutes.  Then shut it off and attach one anode cap and
let it run for 10-20 minutes.  If nothing happens, disconnect the first
anode and hook up the other tube.  Again see if it will idle for 20 minutes.
- If that works, then hook up both tubes.

If it faults on only one tube, replace the tube (or swap to test).  If both
tubes fail individually or together check HV caps for shorts.

If you are not familiar with HV circuits, etc DON'tr try ANY of these !!!!

Can you give us a list of what they repaired for $1500??

73 Jerry
NY2KW