[Amps] SS Amps are expensive...why?

Art ky1k at myfairpoint.net
Fri Jan 25 14:30:49 EST 2019

Thank you Manfred for having the nuts to tell it like it is!!!
Especially the last couple  of paragraphs and the statements that no
solid state mosfet amp is clean!

I am in the minority here, I'm not looking for a linear amp for HF. I
have no interest in ssb operation, except for casual ragchewing. I
mostly do DXCC chasing, and hope to get back into contesting. After
being off HF for more than 20 years, I came back hoping to find clean
solid state amps at reasonable prices. It looks like it's not happening
yet>>:

I'd like to point out that even the best bipolar transistors are far
from linear, look at the curve tracer results and see how severely the
hfe differs as the base current increases. The fact is evenn the best
conventional bipolar rf amps aren't linear! And there's no way to make a
mosfet linear-case closed.

I'm following all the discussions here and thank all who contribute to
these topics.

Art

<lot's 'of good stuff snipped>