[Amps] SS Amps are expensive...why?

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Fri Jan 25 20:43:29 EST 2019

Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2019 17:13:26 -0500
From: charlie carroll <k1xx at k1xx.com>
To: amps at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] SS Amps are expensive...why?

<The correct link for the current B26 amplifier kit is
<   http://rf-kit.de/en/2k_Kit.php

##This is the correct home page.

##  The amp is 95% assembled.  The end user supplies and
installs the pair of  120mm  fans....and the  single 80mm  fan.
The pair of 120mm  fans are in push pull.  The 80mm fan is used to
cool the LPF assy..and also the optional auto tuner.

##  7 LPFs  used to cover  160-6m.  They are all 2+ kw rated.
The optional auto tuner covers  160-6m, also 2+ kw rated.

## end user also has to supply the raspberry pi  processor..
and also assemble some interconnecting cables.

##  amp comes with a pair of  BLF  189XRAs in push pull.    Each
189 is a pair of transistors on one die.  Each pair is paralleled
to make one big transistor.   EACH 189 assy is rated for 1.5 kw.
So 2 of em in push pull, run at  1.5 to 2 kw is conservative.

##  choice of 3,  13 or  16 db @  100  watt input pad.

##  reinhard already  tried  NFB..which bought him nothing, and no improvement in IMD redux,
so  no NFB used.    No alc used either.   This amp will not operate  QSK, without some modifications.
## Includes the  3 kw CCS  switching power supply.   Reinhard also tried a diplexer, which also resulted
in no net benefit, so no diplexer used.   Flex uses a diplexer, which consists  of a mating HP filter for each LPF.
Harmonics are then  routed  via the  HPF  to a 400 watt  dummy  in the case of the flex....power genius.

##  reinhard tells me the B26 amp  operates at  typ  72% eff.  Others have done detailed IMD tests with this
amp at 1.5 kw..and its fairly good.   Still others have beat on it  for an entire weekend of   rtty contesting.
Others have beat on it with FT-8 and other data modes.   Others have used it on AM.  Processed  ssb is
a non issue too.  Ditto with cw.

##  Its a quiet amp.   The heat sink design is superb, bar none.   As far as  SS  high power amps go, its a bargain.
##  one input... but four switchable  outputs.  I believe it also has an output for  ..pure signal..for the  ANAN  xcvrs.

##Once  ..pure signal.... starts to be used by   icom, kenwood, yaesu,  etc, or their version of it.... IMD  will be a thing of the past.
##  I have seen the results of an ANAN  8000  used with a OM-4000  running full bore....and all the IMD products are through the floor,
they are all down –70 db....   sorta like a brick wall  filter on RX.      Others have played with bias settings and idle current settings, and
now you can reduce the idle current on a GG tube amp even more..and with PS engaged,  IMD is still through the floor.

##  Just to recap, they only make just the one product, the B26  RF-2K+  amp.    They will be in orlando in Feb..and  dayton in may.
The prices I was quoted are in euros, so u have to do your own  conversion.   Below is the price quote I got 3 months ago.

We do sell the Kit in two versions:

Pricing:

-             RF2K+ Kit without Tuner                              2550,-€

-             RF2K+ Kit with Tuner                                   2850,-€

-             13dB;16dB or 3dB attenuator                        22,-€

-             Shipment to Canada                                      190,-€

Today's order will be delivered in October 2018.

All new shipment will be with the brand new BLF189XRA.

To complete the KIT you need a Rasperry Pi3; 2x120mm fan and 1x80mm fan.

Cost for the additional needed components is about 80,-€.

Finishing the Kit takes just a few hr.’s as everything is already installed in the housing.

##  Hope this helps a bit.

Jim    VE7RF