[Amps] Fwd: Re: Modern rig amplifier keying

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Sun Jul 21 15:27:57 EDT 2019

Stan,

Congratulations on getting this to work, but like most other modern radios,
the TS-590SG has an option to enable an internal mechanical relay to key
amplifiers that required more than 10ma.  Unfortunately, it is poorly
documented.

See footnote 2 on page 55:

*2 Mechanical Relay Operation.  You can switch the signal of the high
voltage like a vacuum tube linear amplifier.  It is possible to control the
terminal voltage of TL-922 (approximately -140 V).

First set both Linear Amp menus No. 59 (HF) and 60 (VHF) to Option 3 to
enable the TS-590SG mechanical relay.  Also rewire the amplifier's KEY IN
to TS-590SG REMOTE Connector Pin 4 (MKE) instead of to Pin 7 (RL), which is
only used for silent solid-state keying of more modern amplifiers that
require low current.  REMOTE Pin 2 is ground / shield.  See diagram on Page
73.

The KEY OUT connector of an Elecraft K3/K3S (RCA) can key up to 200VDC at
5A (with no noisy relay).  It also has a KEYOUT-LP pin on the ACC connector
rated at only 10ma max, for more modern amps.  No menu changes needed
except TX DLY.

73,
Bob, N6TV