[Amps] Need some amplifier advice

gudguyham at aol.com gudguyham at aol.com
Tue Jun 25 08:23:09 EDT 2019

Why do you insist on a tube power supply?  A simple FWB can be built with 3 amp or even 6 amp didoes which would be bullet proof at 500 watts.  Much commercial equipment has been built over the years running far more "key down" power than 500 watts using solid state power supply.  That is nothing for solid state devices in a PS.  I suggest an 8877 tube for the job.  It has a 1500 watt dissipation so it will just be idling at 500 watts output.  If you want to build this yourself you can use 6A10 didoes in the power supply and a string of 12 electrolytic caps.  You can use a transformer sold by Ameritron used in the Al-1500.  Make your own tank circuit.  When I built a 160 mono band amp I used an Al-1200 as a base amp converted it to 8877 with a 10 cap supply and made my own tank circuit.  That amp would just loaf at 500 watts.